COVID-19 Secure Measures
COVID-19 Secure: How are we making the visit safe from a COVID-19 perspective?
The health and safety of our participants and staff is of utmost importance whilst you are visiting one of our imaging centres for the COVID-19 repeat imaging study. We have put several measures in place to ensure that our centres are ‘COVID 19-secure’. These are summarised below, but if you have any further questions please call us free of charge Monday-Friday 9am to 5pm on 0800 0 276 276.
Do not attend for your imaging assessment if you are unwell or should be in self-isolation or quarantine for any reason. This may include, but is not limited to, one of the following:
1. You have symptoms of COVID-19 (a new, continuous cough, high temperature or loss of taste/smell) see https://www.nhs.uk/ conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/symptoms
2. You have had a positive COVID-19 test result within the past 10 days.
3. Someone in your household or a close contact has tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 10 days. This does not apply if you have been fully vaccinated and have received a negative result to a PCR test.
4. You have been contacted and told to self-isolate.
5. You have returned to the UK from abroad and the Government’s rules require you to self-isolate. Information on UK travel arrangements can be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england for current guidance for England and links to guidance for Scotland and Wales.
For further information about the national guidance on self-isolating, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/
If you are unable to attend an appointment that has already been booked, please telephone our Participant Resource Centre on 0800 0 276 276 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm) to reschedule your appointment.
Please try to give us as much notice as possible so that we can offer your appointment to another participant.
What we will ask you to do:
- Please follow current travel guidance if you choose to use public transport (see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-travel-guidance-for-passengers for current guidance for England and links to guidance for Scotland and Wales).
- If you need someone to help you during the journey, you can also claim travel expenses for a companion. However, if someone travels with you, they will be unable to wait inside the imaging centre. This is to keep the number of people on site to a minimum and allow for social distancing.
- When you arrive at the imaging centre, we will ask you some safety questions to see if you may have COVID-19 or have a high chance of having been exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the run-up to your appointment and you should self-isolate. If we have any concerns (e.g. if you are showing symptoms or have returned from a ‘high risk’ area in the past 14 days) when you arrive at the centre, you will be asked to come back at a later date.
- Please wash your hands thoroughly when you arrive, and regularly wash your hands or use the provided alcohol hand gel during your time in the imaging centre.
- Please wear a face covering that covers your nose and mouth when you arrive at the imaging centre. Following registration, we will provide you with a surgical grade mask to wear for the duration of your appointment. You will be able to remove your face mask whilst you are in the MRI scanner.
- Please bring minimal personal belongings into the assessment centre and wear clothes that are easy to change in and out of so that the time taken to change is kept to a minimum. Lockers will be available and will be thoroughly cleaned between participants. Disposable slippers will be provided if required.
- If you develop symptoms of COVID-19 within 48 hours of visiting our imaging centre, please follow the usual Government guidelines (https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test) about obtaining a diagnostic test or call 111. The UK Biobank imaging centres are COVID-19 secure so you do not need to tell us if you have symptoms or receive a positive test result.
What we will do:
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have made certain modifications to our imaging visit. The main changes are:
- We have reduced the number of participants who attend the site each day so that social distancing is easier to achieve, and for everyone’s safety.
- When our staff are required to be close to you to perform some of the tests or position you for imaging, they will wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including surgical face masks, gloves and disposable gowns.
- The frequency of cleaning of both the centre environment and equipment has been increased. Particular attention is paid to frequently touched surfaces.
- Additional sinks have been installed around the centre and alcohol hand gels are readily available for use at any time by staff and participants.
- Staff are regularly testing for COVID-19. Anyone who receives a positive test result will be asked to leave the site immediately and not return until we are sure it is safe for them to do so.
- The choice of refreshments available to you may be limited. All food will be sealed (no fruit can be offered during this time) and we will use disposable cups for drinks. If you have specific dietary requirements, we may ask that you purchase your own refreshments to bring with you and reimbursement will be made to you of up to £5.00.