UK Biobank seeks new Trustees
UK Biobank: the organisation
UK Biobank is the world’s most significant resource for health research and, as a Trustee, you will be able to help guide a charity that is making a major contribution to the advancement of modern medicine. Our organisation has been running for 20 years, has led to more than 7,000 peer-reviewed scientific studies and has more than 50,000 registered researchers from over 90 countries around the world.
UK Biobank’s database, which includes blood samples, heart and brain scans and genetic data of the 500,000 volunteer participants, is globally accessible to approved researchers who are undertaking health-related research that is in the public interest.
Our objective is to encourage as many bona fide researchers as possible to use our database to perform health research in the public interest, whether they are from academic, commercial, or charitable organisations, and from anywhere in the world.
UK Biobank is a company limited by guarantee and is a registered charity in England and Scotland. It was established by the Medical Research Council and Wellcome in 2003, with additional support from other government and charity funders of health research – and the core funding has recently been renewed. The organisation has over 220 dedicated members of staff, based in multiple locations across the UK.
UK Biobank: new trustees
You can help us as we continue to expand and improve our work, enabling even more scientific development and changing our understanding of how to better prevent, diagnose and treat diseases. We are seeking 2 new Trustees to join our committed and focused Board of Trustees and play a crucial role in shaping the future direction of UK Biobank.
To complement the Board’s existing skills, UK Biobank is specifically looking for individuals with knowledge and expertise in the following two areas:
- social science/epidemiology (particularly related to geographical risks factors such as environment and pollution); and
- commerce/business (particularly at the junction with philanthropy, and academia).
To become a UK Biobank trustee, candidates should have a clear understanding of what is involved in being a charity trustee and be able to demonstrate:
- Ability to contribute constructively to a dynamic and collaborative Board environment;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Astute judgement and integrity;
- Passion to transform health for generations to come.
In terms of time commitment:
- The Board meets approximately four times every year, with each meeting lasting up to 3 hours
- Meetings are usually held in London, but to facilitate participation from a diverse range of voices, it is possible to attend virtually;
- Please note that the role does not attract any remuneration, but reasonable expenses are payable.
Candidates are encouraged to apply by Friday 15th September 2023 by submitting a short cover letter and summary resume to: email@example.com
UK Biobank is a strong supporter of equality and diversity, and we actively encourage expressions of interest from people with diverse backgrounds.