Last updated Sep 10, 2019
UK Biobank is a tool for health research that has been set up as an open access Resource available to all bona fide researchers for all types of health-related research which is in the public interest. Researchers can register with UK Biobank and apply to access the Resource via the Access Management System (AMS).
This AMS User Guide is designed to give you an overview of the Registration, Application and Project Administration processes as well as providing basic instructions on how to navigate through AMS.
Suggestions and information for new users:
- Have a printout of this User Guide to hand when you first use the System. Download PDF
- Read the background information about UK Biobank and details on our Access Procedures on the UK Biobank website
- Before registering, please ensure you have the following:
- An electronic copy of your CV / Resume OR a link to a personal profile page on your institute’s website (which can be uploaded during your registration submission); the UK Biobank Access Management Team (AMT) needs one of these to complete the registration checks
- Details of up to 5 peer-reviewed publications which you are named on
- Processing of an Application will begin after the initial fee has been paid
- Payments are accepted via BACs or credit/debit card (we are not able to accept AMEX or take credit/debit card payments over the phone)
- The researcher submitting an application is automatically assigned as ‘Applicant Principal Investigator (PI)’ to the proposed research project and they are required to sign a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) before data is released
- If you are named as Lead Collaborator on an application you will also be required to sign a Material Transfer Agreement for your institute
- All documents uploaded into the AMS must be in a .pdf format
We recommend using Internet Explorer or Google Chrome – we are aware of some compatibility issues with certain browsers (such as Firefox and Safari).
If you have any further queries, or you have encountered any problems or faults, please send a Message via AMS. Prior to registration you can send an email to the AMT.
The AMT can experience a high demand for services especially after a Data Showcase refresh; the AMT aims to respond to any correspondence as soon as possible so please allow 2 weeks before chasing.
Download a PDF of the Access Management User Guide: Access_019 Access Management System User Guide v3