Last updated Jan 23, 2020
Accessing the UK Biobank resource
UK Biobank would like to make researchers aware that it is undertaking a review of its Access Procedures and related Material Transfer Agreement, and expects that updated versions of the Access Procedures and the MTA will be published and introduced during the course of the next few months.
- Access Application Form Template
- Access Procedures
- Principles of Access
- Sample release: policy & procedures
- Step-by-step guide to registering to use UK Biobank (including User Guide & FAQs))
- Access FAQs
- Register and apply (Direct link)
- Approved research list
- UK Biobank: An open access resource for identifying the causes of a wide range of complex disease of middle and old age PLOS Medicine, 31 March 2015, DOI: 1371/journal.pmed. 1001779
Understanding the Data Showcase
- UK Biobank de-identification protocol summary
- Data management
- Data linkage
- Return of results data
- Publication of findings – guidance
- Ethics & Governance Framework
- Other Resources
- Who can use the resource?
- How do scientists access the resource?
- Access to data vs samples
- Conducting assays
- Phased applications
- Repeat assessments
- Size of datasets
- Return of data
- Baseline assessment 2006-2010
UK Biobank exists to supply high-quality anonymised data to registered researchers. It does not publish analyses of the stored data or give recommendations on appropriate techniques. While it is willing to help with problems and queries encountered with the data itself, UK Biobank should not be used as a source of statistical advice.